Tripura Traffic Police emerged as a distinct wing in the year 1991. Sri Madan Mohan, IPS was appointed as the first SP of Traffic, Tripura. Presently, Miss Sharmistha Chakraborty, TPS is the SP of Traffic.
The Traffic duty hours in Agartala comprise of two shifts :-
First shift from 0700 hrs till 1430 hrs &
Second shift starts at 1430 hrs till 2200 hrs.
The entire jurisdiction of Agartala Traffic Unit has been divided into several sectors, consisting of different Traffic junctions and vital points for smooth Traffic regulation and enforcement in and around Agartala city.
Traffic personnel are detailed at different posts, points and vital installations in Agartala city. The Inspectors, Sub-Inspectors and Asstt. Sub-Inspectors carry out regulation and enforcement in their respective sectors. Beside the regular duties, the officers are sometimes deployed in other areas where there is maximum visible violation. The Traffic officers also cover all the VIP movements and special programs in their jurisdiction. All the zones are effectively supervised by the Traffic Dy. SsP.
There are 29 (twenty nine) Electronic Traffic signals installed at different Traffic junctions in the city under Agartala Smart City Limited (ASCL) and by Urban Development. There are 3 (three) manually operated Traffic junctions also. In addition to that Traffic personnel are also being deployed at different junctions, market places, motor stands to ease traffic flow.
Under ASCL, total 496 (four hundred ninety six) Surveillance cameras have been installed to ensure safety of public in the city. There are 81 RLVD (Red Light Violation Detection) cameras installed at different Traffic junctions to track traffic violations on the roads of the city. 43 (forty three) ANPR (Automated Number Plate Recognition) cameras have been installed for identification of number plates of vehicles.
e-Challan has been implemented in Agartala City w.e.f 13th August, 2020 to check Traffic violations effectively. Defaulters can pay the traffic fine either by cash or card or through an online web portal. Any person can and can also check if a challan has been issued/pending against their vehicle.
Statistics – Traffic Achievements :
- Effective use of Body Worn Cameras for evidence based policing.
- Enforcement through Interceptor vehicles on highways and Speed
Radar Guns to deter over speeding vehicles.
- Successful initiative of the use of helmets by pillion riders.
- Spreading Road Safety awareness regularly by using PA system.
- Batter Traffic management and monitoring through Integrated Command & Control Centre under Agartala Smart City Limited.
- Detection of road violations through RLVD cameras installed at different junctions of the City.
- Total 250 numbers of sound pollution causing modified silencers have been removed in 2020 & 2021.
- Total 102 number of Driving License have been seized for violation under various sections of M.V. Act (Amendment), 2019 and directions of Hon`ble Supreme Court Committee on Road Safety .
- Enforcement against illegal parking and removal of long parked vehicles in different areas in the city.
- Awareness regarding use of seat belts and carrying of iron rods, pipe etc safely in the vehicles.